What is Spotify Connect?
Spotify has a tonne of features, though some of the fancier ones, such as Spotify Connect, are limited to users who pay up.
Spotify Connect is a relatively new feature (or rather a new button in the Spotify app) that enables you to play tunes from Spotify’s catalogue – but through Wi-Fi-connected speakers, TVs, laptops, and other devices such as the Bayan Audio range of WiFi Speakers (SilverPoint, Solo and Climate). The Spotify app on your mobile device acts as a remote control as well (although you cannot group and ungroup speakers from the Spotify app – you need to use the Bayan StreamQ app to do this!)
You must have a Premium subscription to use Spotify Connect, but before you fork over a fee to Spotify for the ability to stream music to all your devices, make sure you know all about Spotify Connect, the Premium tier, and whether they are worth your time and money.
How much is a Premium subscription, and what does it include?
There have long been three tiers of Spotify listening: Free, Unlimited (£4.99 per month), and Premium (£9.99 per month). They each offer different capabilities and limits, depending upon which device you are using to access Spotify.
Although Unlimited is still available, Spotify is using a new setup. It includes the following plans: Mobile Free, Desktop & Tablet Free, Premium (£9.99 per month), and Spotify Family (up to 50 per cent off Spotify Premium for four people).
Apart from access to Spotify Connect, Spotify’s Premium tier lets users play any song they want (on demand), find, play, create, edit, and share playlists, listen to tunes picked by Spotify’s Radio feature, skip tracks, listen offline, play HD music, and more.
Premium doesn’t include adverts (whether you’re listening on desktop, mobile, or tablet).
How does Spotify Connect work?
- Connect all your devices (phone, speaker, TV, computer, etc) to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Sign into the latest version of the Spotify app on your iPhone, iPad, or Android device.
- With the app open, play a song and tap the Now Playing bar at the bottom of your screen.
- Tap the Connect icon and select the device ( speaker, PC, etc) you want to play music from.
- The Connect icon will appear green in the Now Playing bar when sending music to a device.
What are the advantages to Spotify Connect?
- You can play music from Spotify’s catalogue, through your Wi-Fi connected devices.
- You can use the Spotify app as a remote, letting you adjust volume, switch tunes, etc.
- You can instantly switch from a speaker to a laptop, without having to restart a playing song.
- Your tunes won’t stop playing, even if you make calls, watch videos, or go out of Wi-Fi range.
- You’ll get access to “readymade playlists” by Spotify, located under the Browse tab.
- Spotify said it offers “higher sample rates” to Connect users.
What are the disadvantages?
- You must pay a $9.99-per-month Premium subscription fee for access to Connect.
- You can only play music from Wi-Fi-connected devices that support Connect (roughly 23 manufacturers on board).
- It’s not yet possible to control your connected devices from the desktop app.
- You cannot use Connect to play local files on a device.
- Spotify now won’t support similar features from rivals (such as Google Cast).
Our Bayan Audio multi-room speaker app StreamQ is integrated with Spotify Connect and works with our multi-room speakers Silverpoint 1 & Silverpoint 2; multi-room bookshelf systems with Hi-Def radio and optical port for TV connection.